Sunday, May 16, 2010

Employee vs Employer

As an employee, right from my hardware engineer days in a very small firm through working in multinationals,  I was always confined to my own work responsibilities and never went bothered to even know about my employer. Forget going that extra mile to contribute to the company's growth. All I was concerned only about my takeaway in anything from training sessions to day-to-day work.


This is the single most important difference between doing business and being employed. As a startupper,(if I can put it that way) you always think about how you can add value to your customers. You think about how every situation and every person you meet gets benefited from you and / or your venture. One person who grew his business exponentially by this way of thinking is Mr. Dhirubhai as Mr Krishnamoothy explains here. We have an excellent ecosystem ostartups in India (TiE, Headstart, Startup saturday, NSRCEL ).But you are not gaining anything out of these forums if you are not contributing by way of sharing in these networks. Information sharing can be a start.

"Money is just a by-product" - well, I'm yet to understand how this works :-)

No comments: