Monday, May 3, 2010

It rained here !

Had been to DakshinChitra recently, our first official weekend getaway in Chennai. While I enjoyed the various exhibits and had a great time catching them through my lens, I was not sure if they capture the culture of the southern states completely. As a south Indian I felt the place was slowly becoming more of historical museum more than a center for arts. Perhaps a 2 hour stroll is not enough to get the  vibe of the place or I must have taken a guided tour. For an outside this place does serve as a great window to South Indian traditions.



I've always wondered why many tourist destinations in India have different entry fees for locals and foreigners? I have not seen this anywhere abroad.


I did not get a chance to witness any performing arts in DakshinChitra. But what came as a pleasant surprise was Rohini Thotta Tharani's art exhibition. I did get to see the man himself, but did not want to gate crash the party as he was with his friends. As for his daughter's paintings, well "புலிக்கு பிறந்தது பூனையாகுமா?"

Oh yeah, it rained here in Chennai !

No comments: